Wednesday, November 9, 2011

St. John's - the unexplained!

9th November 2011

We flew out of St. John's today! Not since I left Harare have I felt this way about leaving a city!

That's the "unexplained". I have no idea why this place has crept into my heart! I know I would hate the long cold winters! Andre was working long hours while we were here and after months of being together 24/7 I missed him!

Maybe it's the openness of the people? The freedom to go anywhere any time and feel safe! The way people greet you in the street and often stop to chat reminds me of Rhodesia! I honestly cannot put my finger on the reason but I left St. John's with a lump in my throat!

Of course I also was very pleased to be going back to the boat! We flew Westjet airlines to Toronto with a half hour stopover in Halifax! We didn't disembark!

After a bumpy descent into a rainy Toronto we had five hours to kill until the Caribbean Airline flight to Port of Spain, Trinidad. A beer and dinner did the trick and they were soon announcing boarding!

It seems most people had lost their sense of humour by that time as everyone was barking and growling at everyone! The poor ground hostess had messed up a few duty free booze orders and given wrong bags to wrong people! Well we saw that at ten o'clock at night you don't mess with a man’s duty free booze without being bit!!

By now the poor hostie was in a state and had lost Andre's proof of purchase he had just given her! At that moment I would not have swapped places for all the booze in the shop! Haha

Landing at Trinidad was uneventful and Ian was waiting for us in his taxi! I had expected the same humid heat as when we left and was surprised to find it much more comfortable!

It was wonderful seeing 'rat catcher' standing in the shadow of the giant tree as we drove in the gate! On boarding her imagine our dismay to find her absolutely filthy! Covered in leaves, her decks green and her helm seat black with mould!





We had hired a recommended boat man 'Uncle Sam' who was supposed to have washed her down once a week and kept her free of the falling leaves! He was also supposed to check the aircon we had running inside was in fact running! This he was supposed to go by simply checking the piece of tape attached above the exhaust vent was blowing! Well not even that was working!

So much for boat boy uncle Sam!

Lots of work before we lifted back onto the water.

No comments: